Our Mission is to make a profound, positive difference in the lives of young people whose circumstances put them at risk of falling far short of their true potential.
Our Guiding Principles:
- We broaden our members’ horizons by making them aware of opportunities that exist outside of their immediate environment, and the full range of goals that they can set for themselves.
- We mentor our members to develop road maps through unfamiliar territory, so they can work toward their personal career and development objectives.
- We engage our members in activities that help them develop discipline, team skills, self-confidence, self-respect and respect for others.
- All of our programs are built around structured activities. We aren’t a recreational clubhouse. Members come to the BTS Community Center to have a good time, but learning and personal development are our first priorities.
- We have zero tolerance for inappropriate behavior. A member who behaves disrespectfully or ‘acts out’ will be required to leave the Center for the day.
- We continuously emphasize the fundamental importance of education for opening doors to greater opportunities.
- We educate members and their families about the resources that are available to help meet their needs.
- We network with other community based organizations to meet the full range of needs faced by our members and their families.
- We participate in events and activities that benefit those who need help anywhere in the city of Meriden.
Meet the Team
Larry Pelletier was a student at Wilcox Technical High School when he started boxing at the original Silver City Boxing Club. The club eventually became dormant until 1993, when Larry and his own trainer, Art Smith, brought it back to life. Boxing was initially the only program offered. Under Larry’s leadership, the center’s program menu has expanded, but the goals have remained the same: Keep kids off the street and help them build discipline, self-confidence and respect for others.
He has received numerous awards for his work with Meriden’s at risk youth, and was named a Sportsman of Distinction at the 2012 Meriden Sports Reunion dinner.
Youth Fitness Instructor
Certified Fitness Trainer
Looking to get involved in the community and help us toward our mission